5 Tips to Help You Stay Healthy on Vacation
The upcoming summer months are sure to be filled with beach outings, drinks with tiny umbrellas in them, and exotic global travel. Most of us work incredibly hard to feel healthy and fit before summer arrives, but then slack off once our vacation begins. This article is intended to give you five, easy tips to help you stay healthy while on vacation no matter where you are.
1. Keep a regular schedule. When I say keep a regular schedule I really mean stay consistent about the times that you are eating your meals. While jet lag and the 24/7 ice cream bar can throw you off your schedule, aim to eat the same amount of food around the same time that you normally would while at home. By doing this you will be less likely to overindulge and will only eat when you’re hungry, instead of just when there is food available.
2. Pack Snacks. Try and pack your own snacks when you know you will be gone all day. Packing snacks will not only help you save money, but will also keep you from grabbing fries or chips from the local fast food. Try packing some granola bars or trail mix to keep hunger away while out and about.
3. Take the stairs. While elevators are easy and convenient, taking the stairs can help boost your fitness activity for the day. Stairs are a great short burst of cardio and many tourist attractions will have tons of them!
4. Use your body. Many people are often inclined to skip their workouts because they do not have access to a traditional gym or fancy equipment. However, there are tons of small, bodyweight exercises that can be done in your hotel room, on the beach, or any open space. Think squats, lunges, planks, calf raises, push ups, and so much more.
5. Hydrate. When you are out taking a family hike or exploring a new city, your water bottle will soon turn into your new best friend. Keep water on you at all times to stay hydrated, energized, and to help you avoid sweet drinks.
Staying healthy even while on vacation is entirely possible and requires only the smallest of changes! We hope these tips are a great starting point for your healthy vacations and feel free to let us know on social media what you do on your vacations to help keep a healthy lifestyle.
(Image taken from Greatist.com)