Happy National Taco Day! Here is Cody's favorite taco recipe to help you celebrate!
Hard-shell corn taco shells - 2-6 shells depending on how much you want to eat/carb intake
1/4-1/2lb ground turkey
1/4 cup green pepper
1/4 cup sliced onion
1/4 cup sliced tomato
1/2 cup sliced lettuce & spinach
1/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup cut jalapeños
Favorite taco seasoning & sauce
1) Slice green pepper, onions, lettuce, & tomato. Put the green peppers and onions in a separate bowl & leave the lettuce,spinach, & onion on the cutting board. Cut avocado in half, take out the pit, and spoon out 1/2 of the avocado. Dice the jalapeño until you have about 1/4 cup.
2) Brown your ground turkey in a skillet on medium-low heat.
3) Put your Taco shells in the oven to brown. Follow the directions on the packaging.
4) While turkey is browning, get another small skillet and add a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Heat the pan & saute your peppers & onions. Add a dusting of salt and pepper for flavor
5) Once turkey is almost fully cooked, add your favorite seasoning & 1/2 cup of water. Heat to a boil. Once water is boiling, turn heat down to a simmer and stir seasoning & turkey together.
6) Add the peppers and onions to your ground turkey and seasoning. Stir until mixed together well.
7) Remove Taco shells from the oven. Build your tacos as follows:
- Ground Turkey w/ Peppers & onions on the bottom
- Spoonful of avocado
- Few drops of lime juice
- Diced jalapenos
- Lettuce & spinach
- Diced tomato
- Sprinkle of Cheese
- Add your favorite taco sauce
Cody's Health Tip: Turkey can be substituted for steak, lean ground beef, or chicken breast! Depending on your body's calorie demand, this should feed 1-3 people.