New Trainer Spotlight: RAI
Hi, I’m Rai. My full name is Raiselle, but to make it easier on everyone I go by Rai. I’m a senior at UNC Chapel Hill studying Exercise and Sports Science and minoring in Hispanic Studies and Neuroscience. I grew up in Connecticut and moved to Cornelius, NC my sophomore year of high school. After graduation and some time off from school I hope to attend to physical therapy school. On the off occasion that I have free time, I like to experiment with new recipes and then eat them all. Obviously, I enjoy spending time at the gym, but I also have developed a love for running and hiking since any time I can spend outside is time well spent in my book.
1. What sports or fitness activities did you participate in growing up?
Growing up I played lacrosse, basketball and soccer, but eventually I only continued with soccer and played club and school soccer all throughout high school. I still play on intramural soccer teams every year to rekindle my love of soccer.
2. What made you want to become a trainer? I have always loved being active and it has helped me so much throughout my life, so I want others to be get to a point where they feel the same way. Exercising is so much more than just burning calories and when incorporated properly it can truly be life changing. The benefits of exercise and healthy eating are plentiful, and I consider them the best preventative medicine. I also love the idea that I can help people reach goals that they may have thought impossible weeks, months, or even years ago.
3. What is your favorite part about your job and your favorite part of Chapel Hill Training?
My favorite part about my job is that as a personal trainer you have the opportunity to turn someone’s bad day into a good day (or vice versa…), and that you have the opportunity to push someone to do things and to reach goals that they may not have thought possible. Getting to know and build relationships with everyone at Chapel Hill Training has definitely been my favorite part of working here so far.
4. What is your favorite exercise to do? What is your least favorite?
Favorite exercise is probably the split squat since no matter how much I do it, I’m still sore and it never fails to challenge me. My least favorite exercise to do is the elliptical because I get bored very quickly and I embarrassingly always struggle with getting the steps to start moving in the right direction…
5. What music do you listen to when you work out? If I’m going on a run then I usually listen to more mellow music like country or my “Chill” playlist on Spotify, but if I’m going hard at the gym then hype rap and hip hop are definitely the move.
6. What is your favorite post workout food?
If I’m in the mood for something savory, then fried eggs on avocado toast with Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning. If my sweet tooth is out, then a big smoothie bowl with frozen bananas, blueberries, spinach, chocolate protein powder, almond milk topped with almond butter, coconut and cinnamon.
7. What is your favorite movie or book?
Kind of basic, but my favorite movie is definitely Bridesmaid’s. It never fails to make me laugh even though I know literally every word. I’m not a huge reader, since my older sisters loved books and I just HAD to be different, but The Hunger Games series and the Da Vinci Code are high up on my list for sure. Any book that keeps me engaged until the end is a good book.
8. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?
I would go to Southeast Asia. I’ve never been to Asia before, and I really want to go explore the culture there and go to the beaches. I had a friend that studied abroad in Thailand and the pictures had me sold.
9. Why do you think people should come train at CHT?
When you train at CHT you get more than a good sweat, you get individualized training that is geared specifically towards your own needs and goals. Also, CHT is a big family where everyone gets to know each other and pushes each other to be there best. If you want to push yourself, improve your health and meet some awesome people then CHT is definitely the place for you.